Technology will be the life and death of us; Google our God and Grim Reaper.Google never ceases to upstage competitors in advancement, and they've done it again. Microsoft Office Word documents are a thing of the past thanks to Google's new online word processor, called Google Docs. If you feel comfortable enough to post your document online, it's system will definitely save you time, money and clutter. Although personally I feel a bit skeptical about putting anything on the internet, this allows you to write, save, adjust, share (as a read only or collaboration), and send all in one place. It even has a presentation, spreadsheet, form, and drawing abilities!
Google documents is a promising idea for my online/in class hybrid educational setting. By allowing me to see my adjustments on my paper as they are being done, I can better understand the corrections being made by the person on the other side. I am a debater. I'll argue till the cows come home, mainly because I enjoy getting deeper into the subject. Google makes it so I don't have to litter my in-box while discussing back and forth and making adjustments. I can simply go to the document itself online and make the changes.
On a more personal level this program can be useful for collaborative list. When getting ready to go on a road trip with friends you could start a document which list all that you have, need, want, and so on. You won't overlap because you're all viewing it in sync. This leaves you with just one document instead of a bunch of half filled list floating around. When you are as disorganized as me, its great to just have one list, in one place. Google has managed to take over yet another aspect of the technological world, and, due to selfish reasons, I am okay with that.
It seems as though you reached a tentative compromise with yourself regarding google docs. A moral balance I have to keep in check myself. I love the flexibility of technology, but the opportunity for abuses abound. I personally believe being an involved skeptic is the most informed route to take with many things in life.
ReplyDelete